FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Ali Madison | email@example.com | 509.571.0711
Ben Franklin Transit opens public comment period, requests input on 2021 service initiatives
RICHLAND, WA. – The Ben Franklin Transit (BFT) Board of Directors approved the agency’s 2021 Modified Annual Service Plan and accompanying Title VI service equity analysis for release for public comment at the regular monthly Board meeting on Thursday, March 11, 2021. Per the Governor’s COVID-19 Proclamation 20-28 Open Public Meetings Act, a physical meeting location was not provided for this meeting, however, telephonic access information was provided to allow public attendance via Zoom.
The 2021 Modified Annual Service Plan seeks to implement the remaining service initiatives from the agency’s Comprehensive Service Plan and the Service Restoration Plan to improve connectivity and meet rider demand within BFT’s service area. The phased plans are scheduled for implementation between June and August of 2021 and include:
Frequent Service Corridors (FSC)
The goals of the FSC program are to reduce travel time, transfers, and passenger wait times with:
- Increased frequency on select bus routes with high weekday ridership
- Increased frequency on several Saturday bus routes
The Sunday service plan represents a significant operational transition from six to seven days a week for BFT services. The planned services would be available on Sundays from 8:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. including:
- Select bus routes operating every 30 minutes
- Full Dial-A-Ride service
- Full BFT CONNECT service
BFT is offering three opportunities for community input and encourages the public to participate and provide feedback on these significant new service initiatives planned for 2021.
- Two virtual public open houses with LIVE Q&A:
- March 17 | 12 p.m. – 1 p.m.
- March 24 | 5 p.m. – 6 p.m.
- Public Hearing:
- April 8 | during the regular BFT Board meeting
- 30-day Comment Period (ends April 12, 2021):
- Email input to firstname.lastname@example.org, OR
- Call the Customer Comment line at 509-734-5201
The 2021 Modified Annual Service Plan in its entirety and links to the virtual open houses are available at bft.org/NewPlaces.