Do you work for a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization in the Tri-Cities? Are you interested in purchasing a surplus van for your organization?
Ben Franklin Transit (BFT)’s new Van-Me-Down program allows eligible, local nonprofit organizations to buy a pre-owned multi-passenger vehicle for only $250. The program is designed to provide you with a safe, well-maintained vehicle for your staff to use at minimal cost to your organization.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Who is eligible to purchase a vehicle from BFT?
- 501(c)3 nonprofit organizations who primarily serve residents of BFT’s Public Transportation Benefit Area (PTBA): Kennewick, Pasco, Richland, West Richland, Prosser, Benton City, and some unincorporated areas of Benton and Franklin Counties.
- Vehicles must be used for a transportation-related purpose for citizens who reside within BFT’s PTBA.
- Proof of 501(c)3 status must be provided, such as a certificate from the IRS or Washington State.
Which vehicles are available for purchase?
- Surplus vehicles are commuter and lift-equipped vehicles no longer in service for a variety of reasons, primarily due to high mileage.
- Examples may include vans for 7, 12, or 15 passengers, or Dial-A-Ride vehicles with wheelchair lifts.
Are vans inspected before they are sold?
- All BFT vehicles are maintained to high standards.
- Before vans are released to the community, each van will be sent through a detailed inspection.
- Vans that do not meet safety standards will be excluded from the Van-Me-Down program.
How much does a Van-Me-Down van cost?
- Van-Me-Down vans are $250.
How many vehicles may an organization purchase?
- Only one vehicle will be awarded per organization per application cycle. If there are more vans than applicants, agencies with additional needs will be awarded additional equipment based upon scoring from the application selection process.
Is any documentation required after the purchase?
- Successful applicants will be required to submit a report to Ben Franklin Transit one year from the bill of sale date documenting how the vehicle has been used. The report must include miles traveled, number of days used, and the number of rides given.
HOW TO APPLY
Thank you for your interest in our Van-Me-Down program. We are accepting applications at this time. Please download and complete the following application:
Van-Me-Down Application - updated April 2020
If you have any questions about this program, please contact Terry DeJuan at 509.734.5108 or email@example.com.