Dial-A-Ride (DAR) is specialized door-to-door transportation for people whose disabilities limit their ability to use the fixed-route bus system.
To be eligible you must complete a written application (available from the transit office or download the PDF form below) and meet the eligibility requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Dial 735-0160 for more information or to have an application mailed out to you.
Dial-A-Ride Application (Spanish)
Dial-A-Ride Brochure (Spanish)
All Dial-A-Ride vehicles are equipped with a lift to accommodate the boarding of disabled individuals using wheelchairs or ambulatory riders unable to use the stairs.
Hours of Operation
Monday-Friday 6:00 AM – 8:00 PM
Saturday 7:00 AM – 7:00 PM
No service on Sundays
BFT does not operate and all offices are closed on the following holidays:
- New Year’s Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day (4th of July)
- Labor Day
BFT operates according to the Saturday Service schedules on the following holidays:
- New Year’s Eve
- Martin Luther King Day
- President’s Day
- Veterans Day
- Friday after Thanksgiving
- Christmas Eve (last trip at 1 PM).
- The Customer Service Center will be open from 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Policies and Forms
Carry-on Items Policy
Dial-A-Ride Pass by Mail Form (English)
Dial-A-Ride Pass by Mail Form (Spanish)
No Show and Late/Cancel Policy
Appealing a No Show/Suspension
Service Animal Policy
$1.50 Per Boarding – $3.00 fare beyond 3/4 mile from a fixed route
$25.00 for a Monthly Pass
$12.00 for a 10-Ride Ticket
All Dial-A-Ride vehicles are equipped with lifts to accommodate the boarding of disabled individuals, if required.
Scheduling A Ride
To schedule a ride, call 735-0160 (or toll free 1-877-646-4287) to request service, at least one (1) day in advance. Reservations can be made Monday through Friday from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM. On Saturday and Sunday, a call taker is available from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM to book rides for Monday only.
When you call to schedule a ride, it is important to have the following information ready:
- Your name
- Your complete pick-up address, including apartment or suite number
- The complete address and phone number of your destination
- The desired arrival time at your destination; inform the call taker if you have an appointment time and what time you must be there
- The date of the planned trip
- If you are using a wheelchair, scooter, portable oxygen, or other mobility aids
- Inform the person making your reservation if a personal care attendant or companion will be riding with you
- Whether a service animal or pet (must be in a carrier) will accompany you
- All of the above information for your return trip, if one is needed
Disabled individuals who are traveling between the Tri-Cities and Prosser or Benton City are strongly encouraged to use the Route 170, including those with limited mobility or in wheelchairs.
Visiting the Tri-Cities
If you visit the Tri-Cities area and are unable to use the fixed-route bus system due to a medical condition or disability and you present ADA eligibility documentation from another jurisdiction, you can be provided Ben Franklin Transit’s Dial-A-Ride paratransit service for up to 21 days within a 365-day period.
Please have your para-transit service fax your eligibility information to the BFT’s Eligibility Office at 509-734-5195. For more information please contact our ADA Eligibility Coordinator at 509-734-5530.