Notice to our valued Dial-A-Ride customers:
Ben Franklin Transit is committed to the safety and well-being of our drivers and the community we serve. As part of the ongoing emergency response measures and based on health authority guidance, the following are requirements and requests for support:
- MASKS: All Dial-A-Ride passengers must wear a mask OR nose/mouth covering, unless doing so poses a health challenge. Dial-A-Ride drivers are also adhering to this protection measure.
- ESSENTIAL TRIPS: All customers are encouraged to limit their rides to essential trips; however, we are not limiting service at this time.
- SYMPTOMS: If you have had symptoms of COVID-19 within the last five days, please do not use public transportation.
- DISTANCING: We are being mindful of physical distancing guidelines in scheduling passenger trips.
Please be aware of potential longer wait times for Dial-A-Ride services currently. Thank you so much for your support, your efforts and your understanding.
APPLICATIONS: If you are dropping off a Dial-A-Ride application while our Administration building is closed, please drop the application in the Vanpool payment drop box in front of the building. Please fold the application and place it into a letter-sized envelope to ensure it does not get stuck in the chute.
Dial-A-Ride (DAR) is our paratransit door-to-door transportation service for people whose disabilities prevent their ability to use the fixed-route bus system.
How to Apply
Eligibility is determined with a completed Dial-A-Ride Eligibility Application; including the Licensed Provider Verification Form and, in most cases, an in-person Functional Assessment.
Applications are available from the transit office or download the PDF form below. To request a mailed copy of the application, call 509.735.5100, then press 3. A determination of eligibility will be made within 21 calendar days of receiving a completed application.
Dial-A-Ride Application - updated August 1, 2019
Dial-A-Ride Application (Spanish) - updated August 23, 2019
Dial-A-Ride Brochure (Spanish)
Dial-A-Ride Notice Of Appeal
All Dial-A-Ride vehicles are equipped with a lift to accommodate the boarding of disabled individuals using wheelchairs or ambulatory riders unable to use the stairs.
Hours of Operation
||6 a.m. - 10 p.m.*
||7 a.m. - 10 p.m.
*Prosser and Benton City hours: Monday - Friday: 6 a.m. to 8:15 p.m. (last pickup at 8:15 p.m.)
View Postcard: Service Changes as of May 6, 2019
Policies and Forms
No-Show and Late Cancellation Policy - updated December 6, 2019
Dial-A-Ride Pass by Mail Form - English - updated March 4, 2020
Dial-A-Ride Pass by Mail Form - Spanish - updated March 4, 2020
$1.50 Per Boarding – $3.00 fare beyond 3/4 mile from a fixed route
$25.00 for a Monthly Pass
$12.00 for a 10-Ride Ticket
All Dial-A-Ride vehicles are equipped with lifts to accommodate the boarding of disabled individuals, if required.
Scheduling A Ride
Reservations can be scheduled at least one day in advance or up to seven days in advance.
Reservations can be made Monday through Friday from 8 a.m.to 5 p.m. On Saturdays and Sundays, a reservationist is available 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. to book rides for Monday only.
Reservations for next day rides may be subject to negotiations. Per ADA guidelines, Public Transits are authorized to negotiate rides one hour before and one hour after the customer’s requested time.
Pick-up windows are scheduled based on distance for time-specific trips. The call taker will let you know your pick-up time when you schedule your ride. You will be asked to schedule a return time.
Dial-A-Ride is a shared ride transportation service, which means, you may share the bus with others traveling in the same general direction. The bus may make several stops along the way before reaching your destination.
When you call to schedule a ride, it is important to have the following information ready:
- Your name
- Your complete pick-up address, including apartment or suite number
- The complete address and phone number of your destination
- The desired arrival time at your destination; inform the call taker if you have an appointment time and what time you must be there
- The date of the planned trip
- If you are using a wheelchair, scooter, portable oxygen, or other mobility aids
- Inform the person making your reservation if a personal care attendant or companion will be riding with you
- Whether a service animal or pet (must be in a carrier) will accompany you
- All of the above information for your return trip, if one is needed
Disabled individuals who are traveling between the Tri-Cities and Prosser or Benton City are strongly encouraged to use the Route 170, including those with limited mobility or in wheelchairs.
Visiting the Tri-Cities
If you visit the Tri-Cities area and are unable to use the fixed-route bus system due to a medical condition or disability and you present ADA eligibility documentation from another jurisdiction, you can be provided Ben Franklin Transit’s Dial-A-Ride paratransit service for up to 21 days within a 365-day period.
Please have your para-transit service fax your eligibility information to the BFT’s Eligibility Office at 509.734.5195. For more information please contact our ADA Eligibility Coordinator at 509.734.5530.