Notice to our valued Dial-A-Ride customers:
Ben Franklin Transit is committed to the safety and well-being of our drivers and the community we serve. As part of the ongoing emergency response measures and based on health authority guidance, the following are requirements and requests for support:
- MASKS: All Dial-A-Ride passengers should wear a mask OR nose/mouth covering until further notice, unless doing so poses a health challenge. Dial-A-Ride drivers are also adhering to this protection measure.
- ESSENTIAL TRIPS: All customers are encouraged to limit their rides to essential trips; however, we are not limiting service at this time.
- SYMPTOMS: If you have had symptoms of COVID-19 within the last five days, please do not use public transportation.
- DISTANCING: We are being mindful of physical distancing guidelines in scheduling passenger trips.
Please be aware of potential longer wait times for Dial-A-Ride services currently. Thank you so much for your support, your efforts and your understanding.
APPLICATIONS: If you are dropping off a Dial-A-Ride application while our Administration building is closed, please drop the application in the Vanpool payment drop box in front of the building. Please fold the application and place it into a letter-sized envelope to ensure it does not get stuck in the chute.
Dial-A-Ride (DAR) is specialized door-to-door transportation for people whose disabilities limit their ability to use the bus system.
How to Apply
To be eligible you must complete a written application (available from the transit office or download the PDF form below) and meet the eligibility requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Dial 509-735-0160 for more information or to have an application mailed out to you.
Dial-A-Ride Application - updated August 1, 2019
Dial-A-Ride Application (Spanish) - updated August 23, 2019
Dial-A-Ride Brochure (Spanish)
Dial-A-Ride Notice Of Appeal
All Dial-A-Ride vehicles are equipped with a lift to accommodate the boarding of disabled individuals using wheelchairs or ambulatory riders unable to use the stairs.
Hours of Operation
Later hours: As of March 11, 2019, BFT is offering later service hours for full Dial-A-Ride services, Monday-Saturday! Visit New Places to find out more.
||6 a.m. to 10 p.m.*
||7 a.m. to 10 p.m.
*Prosser hours: Monday - Friday: 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. (last pickup at 6 p.m.)
View Postcard: Service Changes as of May 6, 2019
Policies and Forms
No-Show and Late Cancellation Policy - updated December 6, 2019
Dial-A-Ride Pass by Mail Form - English - updated March 4, 2020
Dial-A-Ride Pass by Mail Form - Spanish - updated March 4, 2020
$1.50 Per Boarding – $3.00 fare beyond 3/4 mile from a fixed route
$25.00 for a Monthly Pass
$12.00 for a 10-Ride Ticket
All Dial-A-Ride vehicles are equipped with lifts to accommodate the boarding of disabled individuals, if required.
Scheduling A Ride
To schedule a ride, call 509-735-0160 (or toll free 1-877-646-4287) to request service, at least one (1) day in advance. Reservations can be made Monday through Friday from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM. On Saturday and Sunday, a call taker is available from 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM to book rides for Monday only.
When you call to schedule a ride, it is important to have the following information ready:
- Your name
- Your complete pick-up address, including apartment or suite number
- The complete address and phone number of your destination
- The desired arrival time at your destination; inform the call taker if you have an appointment time and what time you must be there
- The date of the planned trip
- If you are using a wheelchair, scooter, portable oxygen, or other mobility aids
- Inform the person making your reservation if a personal care attendant or companion will be riding with you
- Whether a service animal or pet (must be in a carrier) will accompany you
- All of the above information for your return trip, if one is needed
Disabled individuals who are traveling between the Tri-Cities and Prosser or Benton City are strongly encouraged to use the Route 170, including those with limited mobility or in wheelchairs.
Visiting the Tri-Cities
If you visit the Tri-Cities area and are unable to use the fixed-route bus system due to a medical condition or disability and you present ADA eligibility documentation from another jurisdiction, you can be provided Ben Franklin Transit’s Dial-A-Ride paratransit service for up to 21 days within a 365-day period.
Please have your para-transit service fax your eligibility information to the BFT’s Eligibility Office at 509-734-5195. For more information please contact our ADA Eligibility Coordinator at 509-734-5530.