Coronavirus 2019 (COVID-19)
What is COVID-19?
COVID-19 is a contagious virus strain spreading from person-to-person throughout the world.
How does COVID-19 spread?
Health experts are still learning the details. Currently, it is thought to spread:
- Through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes
- Between people who are in close contact with one another (within about six feet).
- It may be possible that a person can become infected by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose or possibly their eyes, but this is not the main way the virus spreads.
What is Ben Franklin Transit doing to prevent the spread of COVID-19?
BFT vehicles are cleaned DAILY with a hospital grade disinfectant, and sanitizer dispensers will soon be installed on all buses (already on our Dial-A-Ride vehicles). Together we can help control the spread of this and other viruses.
How can I protect myself from COVID-19?
- It is critical to follow the precautions being emphasized by health authorities. Among the most important is staying home and avoiding public places if you experience symptoms.
- Wear a face mask.
- Remember to cover your mouth/nose when coughing and sneezing.
- Avoid close contact with people who appear to be sick. We know it can be difficult on the bus, but remember it’s not rude to get up and move if you need to.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If you do not have access to soap and water, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol concentration.
The most effective way to prevent the spread of disease are things we can all do ourselves. We strongly encourage everyone to follow these recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control:
- Wear a face mask!
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Stay home when you are sick.
IF YOU ARE NOT FEELING WELL, DO NOT TAKE PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION.
Call your healthcare provider before you leave your home and follow their guidance.
Thank you for your continued patience and support during this time.
For more information, visit:
More details about BFT's safety measures during COVID-19 can be found on our Safety page.