Ben Franklin Transit (BFT) makes every effort to provide a secure and safe environment for its riders. As a customer, please be mindful of your surroundings and remember:
Prior to boarding the bus
- Wait only at designated bus stops
- Do not try to hail a bus from a place that is not a designated stop
- Do not run after a moving bus
When on the bus
- When standing, hold onto the vertical bars or grab handles – Never lean against the doors
- Do not move from seat to seat while the bus is in motion
- Keep large items such as strollers, shopping carts, and luggage clear of aisles and doorways
- If applicable, remind the bus operator as you’re exiting that you need to retrieve your bicycle
- After exiting, never cross the street in front of the bus
Traveling with children
- Allow extra time and never leave children unattended
- Hold small children’s hands and keep them back away from the curb until the bus has come to a full stop
- Do not allow children to stand on the bus seat or allow them to move around in the bus
If You See Something, Say Something
If you see someone acting suspiciously, see smoke, notice an odd smell, or witness anything unusual, immediately tell the bus operator, a transit representative, or call 911.
What to watch for:
- Someone hiding something on BFT property
- Someone filming or taking excessive photos of transit operations and equipment
- Someone taking someone else’s personal property
- Someone wearing clothing not consistent with the time of year (Such as a winter parka in the summer)
If you find an unattended package, tell the bus operator or other transit representative immediately. If you see someone leave a package on a bus, politely bring it to their attention.
Threats or hoaxes
Real or implied, threats or hoaxes are felony crimes and will be aggressively investigated and prosecuted.
Report crime immediately
Whether you are a witness or a victim of a crime, call 911 and give a complete description of the offender(s) such as sex, height, weight, race, distinguishing marks, and clothing.
Stay alert and awake
- Keep personal audio players at a low volume at all times (others should not be able to hear it)
- Be wary or noisy passengers arguing or causing a commotion; this could be staged to distract you
- Keep your belongings (i.e., purses, backpacks, etc.) close to you
- Conceal expensive electronic equipment and jewelry